THE B.D.C.C.I. CONGRATULATES GM HOOVER ON HIS RECENT NOMINATION TO AMERICAN JITERYU KARATE FEDERATION U.S. SOKESHIP UNION OF INTERNATIONAL GRANDMASTERS, INTERNATIONAL GRANDMASTERS COUNCIL AND U.S. REPRESENTATIVE OF THE UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL GRANDMASTERS SOKESHIP UNION. SOKE HOOVER IS ALSO RECOGNIZED BY THE INTERNATIONAL AMERICA OKINAWA SEISHINRYOKU TAI CHI CLUB AS CERTIFIED PROGRAM INSTRUCTOR FOR IT'S KUNG FU FOR CHRIST OUTREACH PROGRAM.
THE B.D.C.C.I. ALSO CONGRATULATES SOKE HOOVER FOR HIS NOMINATION TO THE WORLD MARTIAL ARTS BROTHERHOOD REPRESENTING THE KENPO/KEMPO ARTS. THERE IS A VERY SPECIAL 'SALUTE TO MRS. EVELYN HOOVER, (DECKER SCHOOL OF NURSING) FOR HER COMPLETION AND HOODING OF THE DEGREE OF Ph'D ON MAY 16TH 2009 AT BINGHAMTON UNIVERSITY (SUNY) IN BINGHAMTON N.Y.'!
ED. HUTCHISON DRAGON KENPO
ED. PARKER AMERICAN KENPO MYTH:
Grandmaster Reginald Hoover;
10th Degree Black Belt;
Copyright 2008© D.K.K.C.I.
First, I will attempt to shed some light on the assumption of Dragon Kenpo Karate being some type of watered down system of the American Kenpo Karate Lineage! This assumption cannot be considered true, even if all DK instructors and masters wanted it to be. Let us now consider the facts about the Ed. Parker American Kenpo System, in which a large majority of all kenpoists associate themselves with. Please examine the following realistic analogies within the Ed. Parker American Kenpo System;
1. American Kenpo Karate was developed and created by Grandmaster Ed. Parker and his senior kenpo students years before the Ed. Hutchison System was thought of:
2. The American Kenpo System acknowledges the lineage of only one Grandmaster to it’s Shaolin heritage. This Grandmaster was William K.S. Chow and no other:
3. Grandmaster Chow combined what Kung Fu he had learned with the teachings of his Grandmaster:
4. This Grandmaster was James Mitose. Great Grandmaster of Kosho Ryu Kempo-Jiu Jitsu. Even though it can be assumed that Chow taught and promoted Ed Parker in the basics of his fused Kosho Ryu / Chinese Kung Fu style of Kenpo; it is fact that Ed Parker never acknowledged Chow’s teacher.
5. Thus, upon Parker’s promotion to Black Belt by Chow, ending Parker’s association to the Mitose lineage!
This same disassociation can be considered by current Ed Hutchison Dragon Kenpo practitioners; even though Grandmaster Hutchison is considered an Ed Parker Lineage Black Belt through his teacher; Grandmaster Jay T. Will.
Thus, Dragon Kenpo Karate Instructors and Masters can trace their lineage, only as far as Jay T. Will if they so choose.
1. American Kenpo Karate consists of specific martial concepts, theory, forms, techniques, and methods which make the Parker System suitable for competition as well as street combative application.
2. American Kenpo Karate emphasizes controlling the opponent’s center in failing the attack.
3. This Centerline Theory is a major trademark of the American Kenpo Stylist.
4. American Kenpo Karate also tends to encourage within it’s ranks of mastery, the art of Speed Striking. This speed striking / hitting ability has become a universal trademark of Modern Self-Mastery among practitioners of all Kenpo Styles, and tends to be expected of all style higher ranking Masters; be they, Chinese, Okinawan, Tracy, Shaolin, And Dragon, etc, alike.
5. Therefore, particularly partially defining the Mark and Standard Of Any Master Of The Kenpo / Kempo Arts.
Now, let us consider the Ed. Hutchison Dragon Kenpo Karate System:
1. The parallelism of disassociation within both the AK and DK systems concerning choices in tracing each system’s lineage to a specific grandmaster or grandmasters reveal sadly the distance and disrespect of association between these individual camps themselves.
2. The American Kenpo rank and file, typically does not acknowledge Dragon Kenpo Karate as an equal street combative style based upon Grandmaster Ed. Parker’s basic adaptive principle of Tailoring, which is one of many others within their own!
3. Many Dragon Kenpo Stylists have been blinded and delusioned by this same lineage question.
4.Fact is, yes, The Ed. Hutchison Dragon Kenpo System is indeed a part of the Ed. Parker Kenpo Lineage. However, it is not fact that the Ed. Hutchison Dragon Kenpo System is an offshoot of Ed. Parker American Kenpo.
5. Nor was it in any way, or fashion, intended to be a form of the American Kenpo System.
6. Thus, since the Dragon Kenpo system is in fact based upon the Ed. Parker Tailoring Principle; it does give the DK Instructor and Master borrowing, not stealing rights within the basic concepts and methods of the American Kenpo System as Kenpo Instruction Tools.
7. This understanding has mislead many DK Instructors into believing that they were and are teaching some raw form of the Ed. Parker American Kenpo System. Several have even gone as far as including the whole AK 16 Technique teaching method or parts of it in their respective DK Programs!
8. Other’s still have included the AK short and long forms as part of their respective DK programs.
9. This is in fact, out right stealing of the American Kenpo Systems’ core techniques, principles, and methods!
10. Therefore, these Dragon Kenpo Programs are neither teaching Ed. Hutchison Dragon Kenpo Karate, nor Ed. Parker American Kenpo Karate. This is also not saying that Forms, or Kata cannot be developed by the Dragon Kenpo Instructor and Master specifically for improving their respective student’s Street Combative Execution and Application Skills. Yet, these forms need only be considered supplemental strength and motion developmental aides, within the DK Programs and not Core defensive techniques of the art.